"Come Sail Away . . . "

“Every ship has her own personality, the tricks she does, the foibles she has.”
- Errol Flynn (
from Architectural Digest)

Greetings,

Because of a new project around here - we all totally have yachts on the brain.  Not one of the ultra-modern boats - but, more of a vintage 1940's kinda yacht.   Beautiful woodwork.  Gleaming with varnish.  Bold navy and white striped textiles.   Tan ankles in tattered boat shoes.  And wide-brimmed hats shielding sun-glassed eyes from the afternoon sun.





Sean Kennedy’s motor yacht, the Mariner III, was restored by designers Robert 
Bray, Michael Schaible and Mitchell Turnbough to a condition recalling 
its 1920s construction. The bridge deck, with its view into 
the pilot house, is used for sunbathing.




She is an object of beauty and strength,
and I stand and watch until at last she hangs
like a speck of white cloud
just where the sea and sky come down to mingle with each other.
Then someone at my side says, 
" There she goes! " 
- from Henry Van Dyke's "The Parable of Immortality"



President Kennedy, out on the water . . . 

Or maybe - something simple.  And plastic.  And lego?


Cheers,
Scot

Comments

Unknown said…
My, she was yar.
Thank you Miss Hepburn.
Stu said…
I love the ocean & only wish I had a yacht.
Daniel Shigo said…
My ship has sails that are made of silk,
The decks are trimmed with gold,
And of jam and spice there's a paradise in the hold.

My ship's aglow with a million pearls
And rubies fill each bin,
The sun sits high in a sapphire sky when my ship comes in.

I can wait the years
Till it appears
One fine day one spring,
But the pearls and such
They won't mean much if there's missing just one thing.

I do not care if that day arrives
That dream need never be,
If the ship I sing doesn't also bring
My own true love to me,
If the ship I sing doesn't aalso bring my own true love to me.

Kurt Weil- Lady in the Dark.
Daniel -

omg. perfect!
Unknown said…
Can't go wrong with a lego yacht;-)
Daniel Shigo said…
Not perfect! I misspelled "Weill' by dropping an 'L'. Where were my glasses?

Ain't it a great song? sigh...
Whitney said…
Fantastic post! Ahhh, dreaming in the pics of a day (or week) on the water! Can't wait to hear more about this new project!! Best, Whitney from Consider Yourself At Home
Scot, great post as usual. Love the inspiration you're putting together for the project. We had a Segerstrom family reunion a few years back and one of the excursions was a trip around Lido Bay in Newport Beach onboard a vintage yacht. They have a very special appeal. Good luck with your new project! Shiree'
Clipping Path said…
excellent design blog! you've done really gr8 job! :) thanks for sharing..

Popular Posts